Things I Hate

This is my best impression of Ben Shapiro:

We've been using some online resources for Gabe's growing programming interests.  As this is something that I can not teach, we've reached out to a bunch of different online providers for course material as well as a mentor in the area.

And so, in my inbox, I get this:

Wow.  I hate this.

I hate this for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one, and the only one I can articulate without using profanity, is the Herculean guilt trip this kind of ad lays on any new mom who does not share the ad's conviction that sitting in front of some online course content is way better than feeding a baby, learning to love your offspring, healing from childbirth.  Sleeping.  

"Real Skills. Improving community. Real Results." ???  BAH! Like what? What about raising the next generation of humans?

I especially hate it because I have a distinct memory of writing a wrap up e-mail to my boss about some ASTM sub-committee I was a member of.  I was needing to tie up a loose end before I shut down my work e-mail, and instead I got dragged down a rabbit trail of confirming data and checking lab reports about de-icing fluid and laminar flow.  Gabe was maybe a few days old.  I did not look at all put together or motivated like this lovely mom.  I remember feeling like, if this baby doesn't stop crying... if I could just stop feeling so tired.... I too could learn a new programming language while on maternity leave!  

So, Coursera, I love your courses.  I don't love the guilt-laden expectations you put on "unstoppable moms" do something with their maternity leave.  Something other than mothering.  "Something to progress their career and improve their communities. "  I don't love your gender-politics.

"For the wisdom of the world is foolishness with God...The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain." 1 Cor 3:19


Why would you miss this??