Les Miserables

Some of my best memories growing up in Toronto was going in and out of all the theatres and music halls with my parents.  We were at Roy Thompson Hall and Massey Hall and the Prince of Wales theatre... as well as all the back lane theatres to watch independent theatre troops try to make sense of whatever Jean Paul Sartre was getting at...

But the BEST, the very best! was going to see Les Miserables when Michel Burgess was still playing Jean Valjean.  Totally awesome.

So my folks, remembering how much Alexis and I loved it, bought all six grandkids (and their parents) tickets to see it at the NAC this week.

It was as good as I remember.  Except, I don't remember crying as much as I did this time....

Jean Valjean to Cosette:
"She was never mine to keep.
She is youthful, she is free.
Love is the garden of the young
Let it be... let it be...
A heart full of love
This I give you on this day."


I just want to make one interjection in protest to whoever writes these Musicals - why is it that the alto always dies?  What is that?  The soprano gets to go on singing with her lovely new hero and poor Alto gets rolled off the stage?  sigh...