So Highschool?

Most people are really tolerant of homeschooling little kids.  I think there is this idea that little guys have little needs and most responsible adults feel parents are capable of covering the basics with kids in elementary school.

People are not so benevolent when your son turns 15.  At that point folks start to say things like, "It's been a lovely little experiment, but surely you'll put them in school now." Even more fun are the ad hominem comments like, "What makes you think you are able to teach your kids everything that a public school staff of 100s could teach him?"  This is a good point, especially if they know me well enough to be acquainted with my spelling abilities.  

So the short answer is, I won't, and the longer answer is, the public school struggles with that, too.  

In grade 13 (because we're old) Jason's physics teacher rolled in a TV and VCR and played a taped course for the students and he said he'd learn with them.  I went to a mega-school in Toronto and my Calculus teacher was actually my gym teacher.  They didn't have enough math teachers to cover the schedule requirements and he had been a good math student in high school so he drew the short vector, I mean straw.  He was actually a really good teacher.  He had a good textbook. He stayed a unit ahead of us and he spoke loud enough for us all to stay awake.

Many universities are setting up free online programs for the higher maths and sciences.  I wanted to put together a list of some of the ones we've used and liked in our school. 
  
All of these resources are lovely and we've used them in our home and I am confident to recommend them.  BUT - I am reminded when I look at this illustrious list and the paper wall it creates for me to hide behind that we do not homeschool for the academic results.  That would be suicide.  I have normal kids.  They have average abilities, just like their parents.  (Fine, Jason was a really good goalie.) We homeschool out of obedience.  I could not keep this up if Christ was not the foundation.  It would be impossible.  

Matthew 14:28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

I have watched better mothers than I, throw in the towel in high school, as the wind and waves got  a bit crazy.

So I am trusting that He will finish what is started, trusting in His commands, and obeying.  I am purposing to trust Him even with the outcome. "For this is love for God, that we keep His commandments.  And His commandments are not burdensome." 1 John 5.

Jeremiah 10: 

Hear what the Lord says to you, people of Israel.  
This is what the Lord says: 
“Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
though the nations are terrified by them.
For the practices of the peoples are worthless;

Images are linked: